Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Food Shall Be Our Medicine, Our Medicine Shall Be Our Food

Wow, I can't believe it has been over a month since I last sat down and updated how I am feeling. It is amazing to me that summer is nearing an end and soon we will be bundling up to brave the cold. I was brutally reminded in July just how much food dictates our well being and existence. My sister came in town to celebrate her 40th birthday with all of her family. This is my sister that lives in North Carolina and is Vegan slowly weaning herself off Gluten as well. She suffers from Fibromyalgia and Sjogrens and battles daily to feel "normal".

One might think she would be the perfect partner in crime when having to eat a certain way and avoid specific foods. Well, that would be far fetched, she is actually the one who holds your hand gently and leads you down the path of lollipops, Iowa Chocolate Cake, Cherry Cobbler, cheese saturated nachos, tasty "adult" beverages, just to name a few. So while she was here I indulged in some of my favorites, well ok, a lot of my favorites that have been off limits since I started this natural approach in April. I assumed I would feel run down and lethargic and might have the normal upset stomach followed by numerous bathroom visits but boy did I underestimate that by a long shot. And I guess I can't blame my sister although I would like too. It isn't her job to keep me on track but man, it would be nice if she would throw my a bone once in a while. :) Just kidding Bubbles.

I digress. Anyways, I am still reeling from the effects of an indulgent splurge performed nearly a month ago. My energy was effected but not to the degree I assumed it would be. Where I am feeling it most is the pain in my body. My hands have started to ache again, I constantly have a dull ache in my head and my neck and back are tight. My tailbone has started to hurt to an extreme again to where it is evident every time I sit down and my feet ache all the time. I had for the most part gotten rid of most of my symptoms after doing the elimination/detox for 21 days. Don't get me wrong, I still had aches here and there but nothing like I what it was before April. I guess splurging one meal every once in awhile isn't as noticeable for me like splurging for a week on almost every meal is. I have had the occasional slip up and maybe had the upset stomach or felt sluggish the next day but never have I had all the symptoms return and last this long.

With that being said, I am going to undergo another 21 day elimination/detox without the Clearvite SF and remove all red meat and get back to the basics of veggies and clean proteins. I have also up'd my supplement dosage to aide in helping my body recover per Dr. Pickel's instruction.

All that to learn a hard lesson, Our Food Shall Be Our Medicine and Our Medicine Shall Be Our Food. Hippocrates must have known a little something about something because I couldn't have said it better myself. If you think what you eat doesn't greatly effect every fiber of your being, THINK AGAIN!

The ailments we suffer from are happening for a reason and I believe that those reasons can many times be solved with simply changing the way you eat and the things you allow in your body. You can choose to try on a new band-aid for every little ailment you suffer from or you can become proactive in figuring out why you are the way you are and what you can do to change it. It starts with you, so what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

  1. what supplements are you doing other than the SF during your first cleanse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. None. The only thing I did was the Clearvite SF which helps aide the body in detoxing the liver and controlling inflammation. My supplements were not started until the 21 day detox was over. That info can be found in an earlier post I did. I believe it was one of the very first talking about the program.

    ReplyDelete